With the aim of helping first year students to adapt to a totally different learning environment and atmosphere, Shaw College has launched the “First-year Engagement Programme” to provide a series of activities and resources for students to enhance self-understanding, expand social network and have a better planning of university life. The Programme mainly consists of two components which are welcome day and thematic workshops, each to cater the needs of different students.
The Welcome Day was first introduced in 2019 summer. It targets all first year students who are newly admitted to Shaw College. Through a series of interactive activities and sharing from senior students, the programme enables freshmen to get to know Shaw College and the resources available and assists them in identifying learning goals to better prepare for university life.
Ms. Iris NG / Ms. Joyce NG / Ms. Stella WONG
Tel: 3943 7362 / 3943 7350 / 3943 7359
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Peer Support Group
Peer Support Group is targeting students who wish to have more guidance and support in their first year. Students will be engaged in an in-depth way with various learning opportunities. Students will be divided into groups led by College staff and peer mentors. The group aims to equip students with the “DRIVE” characteristics as followed.
All year round
- Thematic training, games, discussion and sharing
- Topics including understanding and managing self, relationship building, understanding community, etc.
Boot Camp (3-day-2-night)
- Understand self and University
- Team building activities to foster the development of team dynamic for upcoming challenges
- As an extended part of the outbound service trip
- Organise small scale activities on concerned issues
Outbound Service Trip
- Develop global mindset and sense of global citizenship
- Content will be designed and executed by students
End of the year
- Reflect the journey and share the learning
- Show appreciation and recognition
- Plan for next steps
The group is now open for application. Click here for details.
Ms. Ada TSUI / Mr. Kay CHAN
Tel: 3943 1549 / 3943 4281
Various workshops will be organized for freshmen to facilitate their adaptation to University life. Topics include self-understanding, studies, financial management, communication and relationship building, etc.
Strengths Discovery Workshop provides insight on using one’s strengths in study and daily life.
Ms. Yan YIP
Tel: 3943 1549